Rameswaram is the closest point to reach Sri Lanka and geological evidence suggests that the Ramasethu
was a former land connection between India and Sri Lanka. The town is
in news over alleged attack by Sri Lankan navy for alleged cross border
activities by fishermen, Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project, Kachchatheevu and Sri Lankan Tamil refugees. Rameswaram is administered by a municipality established in 1994. The town covers an area of 53 km2 and had a population of 37,968 as of 2001. Tourism and fishery employ the majority of workforce in Rameswaram.
Legend
Rameswara means "Lord of Rama" in Sanskrit, an epithet of Shiva, the presiding deity of the Ramanathaswamy Temple. According to Hindu epic Ramayana, Rama, the seventh avatar of the god Vishnu,
prayed to Shiva here to absolve any sins that he might have committed
during his war against the demon-king Ravana in Sri Lanka. According to the Puranas (Hindu scriptures), upon the advice of sages, Rama along with his wife Sita and his brother Lakshmana, installed and worshipped the lingam (an iconic symbol of Shiva) here to expiate the sin of Brahmahatya incurred while killing of the Brahmin Ravana. To worship Shiva, Rama wanted to have the largest lingam and directed his monkey lietunant Hanuman to bring it from Himalayas.
Since it took longer to bring the lingam, Sita built a small lingam,
which is believed to be the one in the sanctum of the temple. This account is not supported by the original Ramayana authored by Valmiki, nor in the Tamil version of the Ramayana authored by Tamil poet, Kambar (1180–1250 CE). Support for this account is found in some of the later versions of the Ramayana, such as the one penned by Tulasidas (15th century).
Sethu Karai is a place 22 km before the island of Rameswaram from where
Rama is believed to have built a floating stone bridge, the Adam's
bridge, that further continued to Dhanushkodi in Rameswaram till
Talaimannar in Sri Lanka. According to another version, as quoted in Adhyarma Ramayana, Rama installed the lingam before the construction of the bridge to Lanka.
History
According to Firishta, Malik Kafur, the head general of Alauddin Khilji, the ruler of Delhi Sultanate, reached Rameswaram during his political campaign in spite of stiff resistance from the Pandyan princes in the early 14th century. He erected a mosque by name Alia al-Din Khaldji in honour of victory of Islam. During the early 15th century, the present day Ramanathapuram, Kamuthi and Rameswaram were included in the Pandya dynasty. In 1520 CE, the town came under the rule of Vijayanagara Empire. The Sethupathis, the breakaway from Madurai Nayaks, ruled Ramanathapuram and contributed to the Ramanathaswamy temple.
The most notable of them are the contributions of Muthu Kumara
Ragunatha and Muttu Ramalinga, who transformed the temple to an
architectural ensemble. The region was repeatedly captured several times by Chanda Sahib (1740 – 1754 CE), Arcot Nawab and Muhammed Yusuf Khan (1725 – 1764 CE) in the middle of 18th century. In 1795 CE, Rameswaram came under the direct control of the British East India Company and was annexed to the Madras Presidency. After 1947, the town became a part of Independent India.
No comments:
Post a Comment